What is the vulva?
The vulva is the outermost part of the female sexual organs
The vulva consists of:
- The labia
- The clitoris
- The outlet of the urethra
- The opening of the vagina
The vulva is also called Hooha, pussy or noonca, no-na , amongst other things.
See for yourself
Do you know what your vulva looks like?
Take a mirror and have a good look.
- Make sure you’re on your own, and that no one can just walk in.
- Lean backwards against a cushion, bend your legs and let them drop to the side.
- Take the mirror. Push your labia apart with your fingers, so you have a good look at everything.
- Besides looking closely, it is also okay to touch.
Vagina or vulva?
Lots of people call the vulva ‘vagina’. Actually, that’s not correct. The vagina is the opening that leads to your uterus. The vulva is the entire area around that opening.
Get to know your body
It’s handy to get to know your own body well. Then you know what you look like. You also have a better idea of what you like and what you don’t like. When you have sex with your partner, it’s easier to indicate what you want.
You develop breasts during puberty. This could start in a girl of 8, but also in a girl of 14. Age varies for all girls
During puberty, a girl has her first period. For about 5 days, some blood, mixed with mucus, flows from your vagina. You can use tampons, sanitary pads or cups to soak up the blood and mucus.