Affected by an experience

If you’ve had an unpleasant experience you may suffer from depression, guilty feelings or embarrassment, stomach aches or nightmares. Talk to someone and seek help if necessary.

What are the symptoms?

If you’ve gone through something unpleasant, you probably feel really bad. You could have all kinds of symptoms:

  • The horrible memories keep coming back. Maybe you have nightmares or are constantly scared of bumping into the person.
  • You might feel stressed, tense, really tired, or unable to concentrate. Maybe you also get a lot of headaches or stomach aches.
  • You feel dirty, are ashamed of, or hate your body.
  • You don’t enjoy sex anymore or you’re scared and disgusted by the thought of sex.
  • You feel guilty or ashamed about what’s happened. Maybe you’ve lost your faith in people, or you’re angry at the world.

If you’ve had unprotected sex, you may have contracted an STI or have become pregnant. You can visit your doctor at Saba Cares or a health professional at Public Health for testing.

Is this really the cause?

Maybe you’re suffering from one or more of the symptoms mentioned above. You may not be sure whether it’s anything to do with that unpleasant experience, but symptoms like these often are. So always take them seriously.

It’s not your fault!

Victims often think it’s their own fault. That is not true! Nobody has the right to force someone into sex. Not even if you were flirting, wearing a short skirt or in a relationship with them. Sex is only right and enjoyable when both people want it and nobody is forced or manipulated to do it. Forcing someone to have sex is rape and is punishable by law.

What can you do?

  • Talk to someone about it. Talking is often a great relief and helps you to process your thoughts and emotions.  Seek out a trusted friend, your parents, someone from school or a Public Health Nurse.
  • Consider talking to a professional, you can speak to your doctor at Saba Cares about a referral for Mental Health Caribbean.
  • Be careful with alcohol and drugs. They may appear to help in the moment, but your long-term problems get bigger. Alcohol and drugs can cause serious damage to the body and brain.
  • Contact the police station +599 416 3737 to file a police report. If you’ve had unsafe sex, have yourself tested for STIs and pregnancy.
  • Seek support and help to go through your healing process.