Your pubic hair
Everyone has pubic hair: hair on your genitals, also called pubes. Some people have a lot of pubic hair and others have very little. Some people shave it or trim it; others leave it as it is. None of these options is healthier or more hygienic than the others are. Do what feels good for you.
Your pubic hair starts growing during puberty. At first, it’s just a little bit of down, afterwards it gets thicker and more dense.
Styles in pubic hair come and go. In the past most women and men left their pubic hair just as it was. Now many women shave their pubic hair. And today we don’t think that’s a crazy idea for men either. Do you shave your pubic hair? Or do you find it unthinkable? It’s all fine; as long as you think it’s attractive, and it feels good for you.
This is how to shave your pubic hair
- You need: a razor and some shaving foam or a mild shower gel. You can buy all of these at the pharmacy/ hygiene aisle in supermarket.
- Pull the skin taut with 1 hand, and use the other hand to shave yourself.
- Shave in the direction of the hair growth: that’s the way to avoid little red lumps and ingrowing hair.
- Shave using short gentle strokes: the skin on the groin area is sensitive.
- Make sure your razor is nice and sharp. When you use a blunt razor, you often have to shave the same spot twice, causing irritation. Make sure you don’t cut yourself.
Don’t want to shave, but do want less hair?
- Trim your pubic hair with scissors or a hair clipper. Advantage: less work, no stubble. Downside: hair is still visible. If you don’t want that, you’re better off shaving.
- Waxing: a wax strip (sticky stuff) sticks to the hairs. When you pull the strip off, the hairs are pulled out. Advantage: fast and you prevent stubble. Downside: it is painful and you need to get it done by a beautician.
- Laser treatment – the pubic hair is permanently removed. This is advisable if you have, or think you have, excessive hair growth. Downside: you need to get it done by a beautician and it’s not cheap. not available on Saba
Taking care of your body
Do you feel insecure about yourself? That’s probably because you’re visualizing what you think is ideal. But realistically: nobody is perfect and everyone is different. You are fine just as you are.
Men and Women
Are you a typical men or women? Probably not. There is virtually no such thing.